Welcome to my blog! Visit my Website at WWW.ARTBYTANYATORRES.COM to see the galleries organized by theme.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Magical Medallions

If you ever went to one of my events, you probably have seen these.

Magical Medallion Set with 1.5" medallion, $30.
Little Universes, 3/4" medallions, $15.


My friend Elisa Montesinos called hers a Magical Medallion. She just moved to Venezuela and sent me a photo wearing the necklace I gave her before leaving. Notice that when you wear one of these, you get to go somewhere with palm trees and sand.

Elisa in Venezuela.


I thought I would share a little of how the magic is done.


After falling in love with a jar of blue ink, I bought a set. Then I started playing with the inks on BFK Rives paper. I no longer remember why I thought of using the little paintings for jewelry, but when I placed glass on top of the first compositions I made, alchemy happened.

Last night I created a new series. Here they are before cutting them. After they dry, I look for the special places where the colors mix and swirl and blend. I find a composition that looks like a universe. Then I turn each circle into 1.5" or 3/4" medallions, some with matching earrings. They are originals made with love, my kind of magic! 








Magic Medallions in progress. Can you find the painting that matches each?


No comments: