Welcome to my blog! Visit my Website at WWW.ARTBYTANYATORRES.COM to see the galleries organized by theme.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

The Oracle

Description: A series of individually designed cards featuring words that the artists uses to create her own reality of peace, love and joy in an effort to give the world these qualities through the interaction of the public with her work. Going beyond identity as national identification, gender, class or other means of labeling humans, she seeks to create identity through a direct connection to the human soul. Oracles have been a means to foretell the future throughout history, and are currently a popular tool for meditation and enjoyment of beauty. By creating her own oracle, the artist becomes the oracle and art becomes the voice of the Divine.


























When Yolanda Rodríguez invited me to participate in an exhibition she and Josué Guarionex Colón are organizing, titled Language is Identity, I thought about what exactly is my identity, in my own mind, at this point, and what parts of language represent that idea of myself. I often hear words in my mind, and hold them as I work. They are the starting point of many pieces. Although for this piece, I got help. My Facebook friends offered many words some months ago, when I posted a call for help with my future "oracle". I would say all these words lead to "artist," the identity I began creating in 2005 with my "secret" blog Hoy, Artista. I don't even remember how I came up with that title, but it was an affirmation. And little by little, one step at a time, one word at a time, I have transformed into my own kind of artist. I have so far collected about 100 words, and am working on the images for the oracle cards that I will be presenting in the exhibition. The images in the cards are my associations to the words, what comes to mind first and what I can find to fit that idea. My inner being slowly emerges at I create, very quickly, each card. In the end, they will all hang together as an invitation to the viewer to find the words and associations that connect with his or her own soul. Language is Identity  
June 26-July 19
at Bronx Art Space
Co-curated by Yolanda L. Rodríguez y Josue Guarionex Colon-Rosado. 
Join us on June 26 to get your own art-guided oracle card: https://www.facebook.com/events/1430366973878143/

No comments: