Welcome to my blog! Visit my Website at WWW.ARTBYTANYATORRES.COM to see the galleries organized by theme.

Monday, January 25, 2016

Mary Magdalene of the Bees

Mary Magdalene of the Bees, by Tanya Torres.
Oil on Canvas, 40" x 30", 2016.
Mary Magdalene of the Bees is finally finished! I still need to take a good photo, but wanted to share it with you now.

Many of my paintings are inspired by readings, and by documentaries about science, archaeology and history. When I encounter an idea that gives me a clear image in my mind, I paint it.

This new painting is inspired by a theory about Mary Magdalene by two archaeologists who traced the origins of an ancient manuscripts from early Christian times and managed to connect Mary Magdalene to the goddess Artemis. This was a surprise to me. I had never before encountered such a connection. 

Every time I find ideas like this, they inspire me because that is precisely the reason why I am attracted to Mary Magdalene. She has something to offer everyone, even those who don't believe in anything. That is for me a true source of spiritual wisdom: she is the saint/goddess/sprit who does not discriminate. 

In this painting she has acquired the qualities of the life-giving earth, with 7 bees hovering around the great flower of her heart. Her tears are the rivers that nourish the soil, and all that grows in it. 

I invite you to read more in this post at my new website, Magdalene.org and join me this year in painting Mary Magdalene. I have 50 small canvases waiting for her image in preparation for the Mary Magdalene Promesa Celebration, which is confirmed for July 22, 2016. This will be a beautiful year! 

No comments: