Welcome to my blog! Visit my Website at WWW.ARTBYTANYATORRES.COM to see the galleries organized by theme.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Placenta Supports Obstetrical Emergencies



I recently received a request from Dr. Oscar Martínez Pérez, at the Gregorio Marañón Hospital Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, in Madrid, requesting permission to use my piece Placenta in the website he and his colleagues are publishing to help Third World doctors treat women when they have postpartum hemorrhages. Thanks to the Internet and often also my store in Etsy.com (which works as a portfolio as well as a store) I have been able to make my postpartum images available to this project and several other maternity-related projects in different countries. This one was particularly special to me because I had recently read an article about a garment that helps treat this condition to save hundreds of women's lives in Africa. And also because just last month I had the honor of seeing baby Nico's birth at my beloved friend's home, Raquel Z. Rivera.

As an artist, I often ask myself how I can contribute to make a better world. I really treasure these opportunities and am always willing to collaborate in projects that use art as a means to help, inform, educate or bring hope and relief to other human beings. If you ever need to contact me with such a request, please email me through the links in this site.